Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Exfoliants in skincare , part 1

Hello, everyone! I thought I might share which exfoliants I currently use in my skincare and how they work.

   Left to right: Roc Retinol Correxion Eye Cream, 5% Azelaic Acid (Chinese brand), 2% Salicylic Acid (Chinese Brand,
    Alpha Hydrox Oil-Free Treatment, Alpha Hydrox Silk Wrap Body Lotion
 

Roc Retinol Eye Cream: Ingredients here -> http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_91e087148.html
It feels very moisturizing, though I did not see any "effects" on my dark circles. I do not have really 
visible fine lines (thanks to using eye cream since many years). That bad thing here is the ingredients - I am not sure how this is supposed to exfoliate the eye area. The other thing I do not like is that I cannot use it at day time - because it has retinol, obviously. On Paula's Choice Beautypedia (http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/roc/retinol-correxion/_/Retinol-Correxion-Eye-Cream) the listed ingredients are different... so I really don't know if it was reformulated. Apparently the newer version contains BHA and Ascorbic Acid. I am very confused because I threw the packaging away after I got it, so now I have no clue what I am dealing with here. Not sure if I will continue to use it, because I prefer to use the Olay Regenerist Serum (fragrance-free) as an eye cream.
Azelaic Acid 5%: This kind of treatment usually comes as a prescription cream. But this is a liquid. I just recently started using it against acne, so I am not sure if it is effective. It is supposed to kill bacteria and slow down the production of keratin (so pores don't clog). It cannot be mixed with any other exfoliants, that is why I only use it alone. Moisturizing or putting on make-up afterwards is okay as long as you give it a few minutes to absorb (same like salicylic acid).
Salicylic Acid 2%: It is a dupe for Paula's Choice BHA liquid, which is a famous and popular BHA exfoliant. It works best right after washing the face and patting it dry - instead of using a toner. After a few minutes you can apply anything o top of it. I usually follow with a hydrating gel, sunscreen and make-up. I also use it at night underneath the Alpha Hydrox 10%AHA  (ingredients:  http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_7d7195264.html), which is a lightweight gel exfoliant. I do not use anything else on top.
Alpha Hydrox Body Lotion 12% AHA: I have been using this since a few weeks, but not regularly enough to see any difference. It feels quite thick and heavy, I apply it after showering in the evening (arms, legs and shoulders). Ingredients are here  ->  http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_6688174320.html

No comments:

Post a Comment