Sunday, February 19, 2017

Sheet masks


About two weeks ago I took a picture of all the face masks I had, which isn't many... I do not use sheet masks every day, but every two to three days depending on if I'm in the mood for it. I don't think it's necessary to use masks at all, unless you have really dry skin. Some years ago I barely ever used masks because I did not like the feeling of having a cold wet sheet resting on my face and the sticky feeling afterwards.
But as I get older I appreciate the effect of face masks more and more. 
Here is the "collection":


There are some cheap MINISO eye masks on the lower right corner which I really like (I do not like their regular face masks though). I have already used the innisfree Peptide mask and was not impressed. I usually rinse my face after sheet masks and moisturize. I did not find this one moisturizing but I am happy that it wasn't as irritating as I expected (most innisfree products are very fragranced and contain irritating essential oils). 
On the top left corner I have 2 cheap toners for DIY masks (need to soak a white sheet mask capsule with toner), but I am too lazy for that usually. 
The innisfree volcanic clay mask is obviously not a sheet mask, but a drying clay mask. I've thrown it away after making the photo because it did nothing but dry out my face - it did not make my pores any more clean or less visible, nothing at all. And the tiny tube packaging got really dirty:


One of my absolute favorites are the Skin Advanced masks (Chinese brand). It is one of those masks that are split in two parts to fit your face better:


On the photo I had only one moisturizing mask left. I actually prefer the brightening one that has Niacinamide (both types contain Tremella Mushroom extract). I have used that one together with the Naruko Oriental serum (contains Niacinamide, Arbutin, Camu Camu, Licorice...) which is a very strong whitening serum for maximum effects. Photo from last year:


But since these are a little bit expensive I have found a cheaper Korean Niacinamide mask: Boen Skinlab Rx Collabo Whitening. Even though that one is not as gentle, soft and comfortable on the skin, it has a similar effect on brightening. The mask itself is black and feels a bit minty on my skin (but not irritating). Here are the ingredients:



It is interesting to see that Koreans typically do not rinse their face after using a sheet mask. Chinese usually rinse and follow up with serum and moisturizer. In China women also tend to make more DIY masks from all kinds of toners and essences. They even use BHA toner as sheet mask (wtf?) or diaper rash cream as whitening mask.
This black mask does not leave too much residue on my skin so I would just use some tissues to wipe off the excess and massage in the rest along with moisturizer.

I recently bought another pack of Etude house royal jelly mask - it is a capsule filled with a gel type mask which is meant to be used as a sleeping mask overnight. It lasts me for a while since there is too much product in 1 capsule. I have used it together with the innisfree honey mask and it was a delicious honey experience. These masks both smell so good and complement each other. In general I would not use any innisfree sheet mask alone by itself since they all do not moisturize enough.

For honey masks, the Papa recipe Bombee honey masks are a better choice than innisfree. Still I think they do not deserve to be as popular as they are. Aside from containing some honey there is really nothing special about them. I will keep investing into Niacinamide masks, because I like the brightening effect. Any kind of moisture I would get from a sheet mask is only temporary anyway, so I go for whitening. But I have to be careful since Transexamic Acid is a popular whitening ingredient in a lot of Asian products (especially in Taiwanese ones) and that ingredient literally burns off my face.




No comments:

Post a Comment